The Tourism sector has in the recent past suffered as a result of the travel advisories issued by tourist source countries. The advisories come in the wake of violent attacks by Islamist militias.
In response to this, the government came up with a Tourism Recovery Strategy committee to help the sector recover.
The committee is comprised of various professionals who will suggest strategies to move the sector forward.Through the committee the sector is set to receive $2.4m boost from the government to help in its recovery.
Ms. Kandie, Cabinet Secretary for East African Affairs, Commerce and Tourism released the performance results for 2013 tourism sector that show a significant drop in the country’s largest income earner.
Total international arrivals for the year by air and sea dropped by 11.7 per cent to close at 1.09 million down from 1.23 million recorded in 2012 while Jomo Kenyatta International Airport arrivals dropped by 14 per cent to 900,000 from 1.047 million recorded in 2012.
- The Nairobi Railway Museum
This is a place where every traveler going through Nairobi should make a visit at least. The Museum is situated adjacent to what used to be known as the East Africa Railway and Harbours Corporation. The Museum was opened in 1971. The museum is a treasure to say the least a place that will take you back in time as you marvel at the ancient steam engines some of which have been restored to full functionality.
2.The Nairobi Safari Walk
If you are looking for a place where you can hang out with family and loved ones on a weekend, then this is the place to be. The safari walk is situated 7km south of Nairobi city.The facility is managed by the Kenya Wildlife Service . What i think is cool about this facility is its landscape design. The concept is that of three simulated forests i.e the wetlands and savannahs.
These climatic environments replicates some of the climatic conditions in Kenya. Visitors get the opportunity to learn about ongoing conservation efforts and how they can get involved. The facility is made up a long wide board walk, variety of animals some enclosed.
This is a jungle within the city, an awesome place to hangout when you need to get away from the hustle and noise of the city. The silence, fresh air and natural environment are refreshing and worth every minute of your time. You can run, cycle or simply just take a walk in the forest ass you soak it all. Situated about 10
4.The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust
The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust is a charity started by Daphne Sheldrick in 1970 in memory of her late husband David Sheldrick. The trust manages an orphanage for elephants and rhinos. The trust works hand in hand with the Kenya Wildlife Service in the conservation of elephants and rhinos.
The museum was home to the Danish author best known for her book Out of Africa . She lived in the house between 1914-1931. The museum is located 10kms from the city center. The house gained international fame with the release of the Oscar winning movie based on her book Out of Africa. This is an amazing place where you can hang out and learn a bit of Kenya’s history.
Of course there are other cool places you can visit but this is just a list i came up with.
The rules for the Liebster award are as follows
– Be nominated for the award by a fantastically brilliant wordsmith.
– Answer the 11 questions posed to you by said brilliant wordsmith.
– Ask 11 of your own questions to 11 other brilliant nominees of your choosing.
- What would you like to be acknowledged for? Honestly I would like to get acknowledged for trying to make the world a better place. Even though I take an environmental conservation angle I believe we have to take care of the resources we have for our kids and their kids.
- What three things does the world need most, right now?I think the world needs more love, perseverance and hope that its going to be ok.
- Who is someone in your life whom you feel doesn’t understand how much you love and appreciate them? What would you like to tell them? I think everyone in my life knows how much i love them 🙂
- Honesty is always the best policy, no matter what. True or false? Why? True because I think one way or another the truth does come out so I think honesty is the best policy even though it’s not always easy to say the truth.
- Name one woman and one man, people whom you have never met, with whom you would like to spend one day. What would you say/do/ask? My late grandfather, my dad’s dad. I never got the chance to meet him so i would probably like to just have a walk with him or get to know him a bit even though its impossible. in this lifetime
- What are three things on your bucket list? Deep sea diving with the sharks I love them , I would like to own classic car model preferably the 1967 Ford Mustang 🙂 I love classics, the third thing on my bucket list is travel the world to as many countries as possible I just have to see more of what’s out there ;).
- With whom might you like to trade places for a week? Mart Wright Outback wrangler. I like what he does .
- What is love? it’s seeing a reflection of yourself in others and wanting the best for the person you’re looking at.
- What is truth? Truth to me is honesty from the bottom of your heart.
- What does a world that works look like to you? A world where your effort determines how far you go and a world that has a lot of love, hope and perseverance for a better tomorrow.
- What is one habit you would like to kick? What stops you from kicking it? I sometimes over analyze situations I find myself in and I end up missing the point of the experience, i cant kick the habit because it helps me sometimes read though the lines or understand stuff better 🙂
My 11 questions are
- What makes you wake up every morning?
- What is the 1 thing you find amazing in you life?
- What is the impact of poaching on the world’s wildlife population?
- What is your favourite colour?
- When was the last time you took sometime off your busy day to give thanks you are alive?
- Where’s the most amazing place you have travelled to?
- What is your favourite animal, if any?
- What is the one meal you can never have enough of ?
- what is you favourite sport?
- What is the one movie you have watched so many times you know the script by heart?
- Where is Kenya?
And there are my 11 questions to my nominees